Re: How to package device files?

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Grant Edwards wrote:
> > How do I get the install process to install the files as they
> > exist in the package file?
>
> You don't, you use makedev to create them in your postinst.
>
> Wichert.

When this mail first hit the list, I checked dpkg.  It should handle creation
of device files.  If it doesn't, it's a bug.

It's policy that enforces the "no devices in debs" principal.

I also think that might have been a hold over from when we couldn't override
permissions of files.  Since permissions on devices are changed very often(as
compared to normal dirs/files), I believe it became policy to not ship device
files in debs.

Maybe it's time to revisit this?