Bugs being closed faster than filed: Re: Wishlist for woody+1

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Mon, 27 May 2002, Anthony Towns wrote:
>
> > Sure. It's always better to average over a longer period than a shorter
> > one though. Especially when the shorter period's probably biassed by
> > the fact that we're in a pretty unusual state right now.
>
> I suppose.  Interesting how the latest numbers show more bugs being closed,
> than opened.  I suppose that is because less packages are being uploaded,
> which means less bugs are being introduced.
>
> > There've been about 10+31+30+26=97 days since Feb 17th, which gives an
> > average of roughly 143 bugs opened per day, and 140 bugs archived per
> > day over that time period.
>
> Even for that time frame, we were in an unusual state.
>
> I suppose, if someone were bored enough, they could scan the entire debbugs
> database, and gather these stats.
>
> In fact, let's try doing something like that.
>
> Er, it's going to take awhile to scan, I'll have to get back to this list with
> better numbers.

Well, I did even better.  I made a graph.

http://bugs.debian.org/~doogie/open-archived.png

The green line is the total number of bugs in the system, including
open/active, closed/active, and archived.  The red line is the number of
archived bugs.

The blue line is the change value for the green line, and the cyan line is teh
change value for the red line.

The flat line that appears on the right is due to the 28 day lag for archived
bugs.

As you can see, the number of bugs being archived is growing faster than the
number of bugs being filed.  This is very good news.