Re: lightning quick woody+1 release scenarios (was Re: Wishlist for woody+1)

Anthony Towns writes:
> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 09:46:01PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Here are a few scenarios that might be worth thinking about if we want
> > to seriously pursue a very quick successor to woody with limited updates.
>
> Here are some caveats.
>
> > Scenarios:
> > 1. Come up with a well-defined criteria for what packages in the release
> >    can be updated. Something like:
> >       Large, important, often-requested packages that have been well-tested
> >       upstream, and have a minimal impact on the rest of the system, and
> >       none on the tasks and boot-floppies system.
>
> So no gcc 3.1, no new KDE or Gnome (which I would assume would have a large
> impact on the tasks), no new dpkg.

no gcc-3.1 would mean to stick with an old over three year old
compiler which doesn't get the attention and bug fixes that gcc-3.1
gets.

with gcc-3.1 we'll get a compiler common across all our
architectures, which will make life a lot easier.