Re: Wishlist for woody+1

Hi,

At Mon, 27 May 2002 00:37:12 +1000,
Drew Parsons wrote:

> For instance, it does have Japanese, but I can only get the alphabetic
> characters (katagana, right?): タテイスカン (qwerty).  That's using the
> "xkb" layout.  I don't know if it provides the full Japanese UTF-8
> characters if you have X properly configured for it.

Right, this is Katakana.

By the way, is it really needed to input non-ASCII characters for
debconf?  I think it is not needed.  Thus, only displaying feature
is needed for debconf i18n.

Of course, for daily purpose (daily Japanese text), Katakana is not
enough for Japanese -- we need Hiragana and Kanji also (and some
punctuations).  It is Kanji which needs complex conversion engine
for input.  (There are thousands of Kanji and it is apparent that
simple mapping from keyboard layout to Kanji is impossible.)

> I'm just using UTF-8, so I can't comment on conversion to the national
> charsets.

GNU gettext already has such conversion mechanism.  (Thus, both of
   LANG=ja_JP.eucJP cat notexist
and
   LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 cat notexist
works well.)  I think debconf should have similar design if it will
migrate into UTF-8.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/