Re: Wishlist for woody+1

In article <[🔎] 20020526205917.GA7707@deadbeast.net>,
Branden Robinson  <branden@debian.org> wrote:
>On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 07:23:56PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> >When a system has a boot-failure I always have to use an emergency disk
>> >because booting into S makes no sense since the problem arises in rcS.d
>> >in most cases. And there is no less than S to boot into.
>>
>> Yes there is. There's a special 'maintenance' mode (boot with "-b"
>> or "maintenance" on the command line) that drops you in a shell
>> before *anything* else.

I have to correct myself: not "maintenance" but "emergency" (I always
use -b, it's shorter).

>Wow, I'd never heard of that.  Can you contrast this with passing
>"init=/bin/sh" to the kernel as a boot parameter, and exiting that shell
>with "exec /sbin/init"?

Some kernel versions (up to 2.2.x ?) don't spawn the shell you
pass with init=/bin/whatever as PID #1, so exec /sbin/init will
not work since if init's pid isn't 1, it will assume you really
mean "telinit". Also really old kernels (2.0.x ?) don't even
have the init= kernel command line option

Mike.
--
"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."
  - R.D. Lang