Re: Wishlist for woody+1

In article <[🔎] 20020525165316.GA18259@richard.godisch.de>,
Martin Godisch  <godisch@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
>On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 16:33:39 +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
>> - init reworking (support for alternative inits)
>
>Move as many things out of rcS.d as possible, please. For example, the
>default configuration makes it impossible to have a runlevel without
>networking because networking stuff like mountnfs and ntpdate is placed
>in rcS.d.

It has to belike that, and I don't think it's broken

> cannot understand this. Take a look at bug #134650 to see
>another problem, which is impossible to solve for the NIS maintainer.

Oh it is solveable, but it needs some more thinking

>When a system has a boot-failure I always have to use an emergency disk
>because booting into S makes no sense since the problem arises in rcS.d
>in most cases. And there is no less than S to boot into.

Yes there is. There's a special 'maintenance' mode (boot with "-b"
or "maintenance" on the command line) that drops you in a shell
before *anything* else.

Mike.
--
"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."
  - R.D. Lang