Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

On Sat, 25 May 2002 14:31:41 +0000 (UTC), Wilmer van der Gaast <lintux@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Frank Copeland@lists.debian-devel@Thu, 23 May 2002 12:39:29 +0000 (UTC):

>>  Do I really care if ls runs 5 or 10% faster (in CPU terms) when it is
>>  essentially disk-bound?
>>
> Not about ls.. But a faster Mozilla/KDE sounds interesting, doesn't it?

Not especially. Galeon/Gnome runs perfectly fine on this box, and on
the much slower boxes that preceded it. They are bad examples in any
case. They are not CPU-bound applications.

I've seen suggestions that *building* KDE or a CPU-optimized debian
itself are applications where a CPU-optimised debian would be an
advantage. Of course a CPU-optimised toolchain will build a
CPU-optimised debian faster, but if I don't want to build a
CPU-optimised debian then I don't need it. It's a circular argument. At
best it's an argument for building a CPU-optimised toolchain, not the
whole distribution.

Which brings me back to the point I made in my original response:

> If I should discover a particular package that (heaven forfend) makes
> this beast appear sluggish, why isn't it enough that I can apt-get
> source it, adjust the build settings and dpkg-buildpackage a
> K7-optimised version? I already do that for the kernel.

I can do it for gcc as well.

Frank
--
Home Page: <URL:http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fjc/>