Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

On Thu, 23 May 2002 11:38:06 +0000 (UTC), Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:

> You should be able to use pentium-builder package and
> pbuilder together to build athlon-optimized Debian,
> for example. But I have not gotten that far yet.
> I'm making a very slow progress...
>
> http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/athlon-debian.html.en

My K7/1700+ (1.433 real GHz) spends 99% of its time idle.

I already use a K7-optimised kernel (building it is the only time I
notice significant activity in the CPU monitor). I can see some logic
in building a K7-optimised libc. But what do I gain from building the
rest of my system with K7 optimisations? Do I really care if ls runs 5
or 10% faster (in CPU terms) when it is essentially disk-bound?

If I should discover a particular package that (heaven forfend) makes
this beast appear sluggish, why isn't it enough that I can apt-get
source it, adjust the build settings and dpkg-buildpackage a
K7-optimised version? I already do that for the kernel.

Frank
--
Home Page: <URL:http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fjc/>
Not the Scientology Home Page: <URL:http://xenu.apana.org.au/ntshp/>