Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> What bug reports? If you compare gcs to other compilers on the same
> platform, gcc typically performs worse.

I'm a little unsure what you mean by "gcs".  Perhaps if you'd explain
that acronym.

GCC is not the best compiler in the world, but that's not what you
claimed in the original message.  You said that GCC adds optimizations
which speed up code on some chips, at the expense of making it slower
on other chips.

Since GCC optimizations are (by default) carefully tuned, such that
only those which help a given chip are enabled for that chip, I'm
wondering if you can be more precise.