Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> FYI, gcc has a long history of mediocre optimizations, and it
> is well known that optimizations that make some processors faster can
> slow down other (even newer) processors (that is, general optimizations,
> not gcc-specific).

Do you have specific bug reports to file?  GCC makes it very easy to
turn on or off optimizations in the default set for various
processors.  So if some new 386-inspired optimization slows down the
magic-chip port, it's easy for the magic-chip port to just not use
that optimization.

So I wonder if you have submitted the relevant bug reports, or you can
give anything more specific than the vague statement above.