Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 11:29:17PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Sounds like your trying to be a troll.

No. I'm asking that people have hard numbers to support their wild
claims before dragging this tired old subject out for another airing.
Is that really so much to ask? *If* if you have promising data, *then*
people will be more receptive to this *old* thread. Until then you're
wasting time with groundless assertions.

> I wonder why CPU manufacturers added extensions to the i386 instruction
> set ?

The fact that instructions are added does not automatically mean that
compilers and applications are able to make good use of them. If it's as
easy as you think, run some verifiable tests, publish the results, and
come back with some real figures to discuss--I'd very much welcome such
data, if someone cared enough about this issue to do some work rather
than arguing about it.

--
Mike Stone