Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 09:13:57PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> directory exists.  Is it so hard to understand?  Translators don't
> belong in /bin, /libexec, /lib/whatever, they belong in /hurd.
> Unless you have an better place that we can all agree upon.  Right now
> you're just bitching and moaning that we have a directory that
> GNU/Linux doesn't have in its root, without actually giving a reason
> why it should not exist there in the first place.  We, the Hurd

We don't need /linux to store linux-specific files like kernel modules.
/lib/modules works fine, even though they are not exactly libraries.
Why is /hurd different?

> typing "settrans -a ~/ftp /lib/whatever/ftpfs / ftp.gnu.org" is quite

You actually type commands like this? How about "ftp ftp.gnu.org",
seems a little easier. ie do normal users really use settrans
directly on a day to day basis?

> I really can't understand why people become so upset about one silly
> directory.  Why can't you just accept the fact that one such
> directory exists?  It isn't harming anyone. :)

If you want to change policy, you must justify the request.

Hamish