Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
> > typing "settrans -a ~/ftp /lib/whatever/ftpfs / ftp.gnu.org" is quite
>
> You actually type commands like this? How about "ftp ftp.gnu.org",
> seems a little easier. ie do normal users really use settrans
> directly on a day to day basis?

[ I'm Just trying to answer this question and don't want to get into the
general discussion of `/hurd' vs. whatever, etc... ]

There are several things to note here:

  o A difference between using the ftpfs translator and simply `ftp' is
  that after starting the translator you are able to access the ftp-server
  through the translated directory with almost any program that's useful
  for manipulating local files (`find' or a graphical filemanager for
  example).

  o When setting the translator as show above (the `-a' option instructs
  settrans to set an `active' translator) the translator will translate
  the directory as long as it is either explicitely killed/unset or the
  system restarts.

  o If the translator would have been set as a passive translator then the
  ftp-server would be accessible even after reboots so long until the
  translator is explicitly unset.

  o There is also a translator called `hostmux' that can be used to allow
  several ftp servers to be accessed through a single directory
  automatically.  I.e. with hostmux translating `/ftp' one could simply
  open `/ftp/ftp.gnu.org/' or `/ftp/ftp.debian.org/' etc. and let hostmux
  set up the translators.  (The ftp-communication is still done by the
  ftpfs translator so someday it might be possible to also use things like
  http or ssh the same way.)

  o `hostmux' again can be set up both as an active translator or as a
  passive one.

Different translators serve different purposes and as you can hopefully
see now there are both situations where one can set things up once and
forget about them and also situations where it is nice to be able to set
things up quickly only to do something that is currently needed.

Regards,
Lars