Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

SpyderMan <smpcomputing@free.fr> writes:

> I take it from what you write here that Debian GNU/Hurd is not the
> 'official' version, simply a distro of an official version.  Where is
> this official version?  CVS? alpha.gnu.org?

An approximate definition of "The official GNU Hurd" is what's in the
HEAD branch of the hurd cvs repository at savannah.gnu.org, or the
parts thereof which Thomas, Roland, Markus et al think are good
enough. Here "GNU Hurd" refers to the set of servers that replaces a
traditional kernel, not the entire operating system. As for the entire
system, "GNU/Hurd", the only variants I'm aware of are gnu-0.2, at
ftp.gnu.org (which is as official as you're going to get, but pretty
old) and Debian GNU/Hurd.

It's somewhat analogous to saying that Debian GNU/Linux isn't the
Official version of Linux, which you can find instead at
ftp.kernel.org or on Linus' personal hard drive.

Regards,
/Niels