Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:09:00AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 05:16:23PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Firewalling tools are not available for Debian GNU/Hurd.
> > Debian GNU/Hurd will not be released until they are available.
> Then you should get consensus to have that in policy or step down as
> release manager. It is entirely unreasonable for you to make a decision
> of that magnitude in a such a unilateral and arbitrary fashion.

Once again proving that "Debian" is short for "Ian's Debating Society".

If you don't want me doing this anymore, feel free to petition the DPL.
I'm quite happy to act on his advice and step aside if people really
do feel I'm abusing my "powers" or acting against the social contract
or whatever. I'm only doing this because I think "testing" happens to
be a good idea, and that acting as RM happens to be the most effective
thing I can do to ensure it's effective.

I'm not here for a game of Nomic, or to make sure that everything I say
is precise, unambiguous, and accurately represents the full domain in an
unprejudiced and fair manner. I'm here to write useful code and let people
use it effectively.

And yes, I consider requiring Debian operating systems to have firewalling
tools available to be in aid of that goal. That's not something new
I've just thought up to be annoying to the Hurd people because it's the
flamewar du jour. Last time this stuff came up was October 2000, and I
brought it up then too:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2000/debian-hurd-200010/msg00239.html

But hey, let's have a go at an impeachment! We could make up a procedure
for it and everything! It'll be fun!

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''