Re: apt/preferences

On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 21:09, David Roundy wrote:
> Since the first matching default has priority -2 (package will never be
> installed), according to your preferences, you should never install any

Yes...

> packages.  Presumably apt is realizing that this is a crazy preference, and
> goes with some sort of default.

Hmmm... Hate this "I can be cleverer then you" business. It makes it
hard to debug what is going on. I prefer stupid programs that do exactly
what you say, even if it is completely stupid. I put the top line to try
and see if my preferences file was even getting read.

However, that is not all the problem. If I delete the top 2 lines, I
still get the same results.

For some reason, when I have a priority of 0 apt-get replaces it with
699 and goes mad when comparing priority levels:

snoopy:unstable:~# apt-cache policy kaffe
kaffe:
  Installed: 1:1.0.6-3
  Candidate: 1:1.0.6-7+.cvs20020411
  Version Table:
     1:1.0.6-7+.cvs20020411 0
        699 http://snoopy.apana.org.au unstable/main Packages
 *** 1:1.0.6-3 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:1.0.5e-0.5 0
        700 http://snoopy.apana.org.au woody/main Packages

I think the moral is never to use a priority of 0.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>