Re: apt/preferences

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:38:51PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am getting completely confused with apt/preferences in woody.
>
> My understanding is that the first match is used (true/false?). That
> would make the following preferences file refuse to upgrade any
> packages:
>
> Package: *
> Pin-Priority: -2
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 0
>
> However apt-get still wants to upgrade these packages to the unstable
> version:

from man apt_preferences:

       A  default  pin  is  how  the priorities of package
       files are set. Any number of default  pins  may  be
       specified,  the  first matching default will select
       the priority of the package file. Only  release  or
       origin  may  be used in the Pin specification since
       they match Packages files.

Since the first matching default has priority -2 (package will never be
installed), according to your preferences, you should never install any
packages.  Presumably apt is realizing that this is a crazy preference, and
goes with some sort of default.

My guess is that if you move that first line to the bottom (or just
eliminate it, as I'm not sure of its purpose), things will work as you
expect.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/