Re: A prescription for release anxiety

On Fri, 17 May 2002 23:48:21 -0600
"David D.W. Downey" <david-downey@codecastle.com> wrote:

> NOTE TO THOSE ANTICIPATING WOODY RELEASE

[snip]

> Nothing would please the Debian project Leader and the myriad of developers
> who help develop, test and maintain Debian GNU/Linux more than to be able
> to say "We will release the latest version of Debian on such and such a
> date.".

In actual fact, nothing would make me more frustrated, nothing would make
me feel under more pressure. No, I wouldn't be pleased at all. I do have
other things to do; I'm -very- comfortable that no position is ever taken
wrt release date until everything is ready to release. In fact, nothing
would please me more in this regard than to keep it this way.

> Unfortunately, this is not always possible.

Fortunately, this is not ever done in debian.

(note, this is not meant as corrections to the message, but rather
as a statement that there is at least one debian developer who doesn't
agree to be pleased by deadlines.)

-Jim