Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 11:23:01AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > Before I get 25 "fan mails" that I say "hobbyists" I already back it
> > up:
> >  "I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
> >    big and professional like gnu)."
> >                               -- Linus Torvalds, 25 Aug 1991
>
> That was more than 10 years ago. I think you'll find that Debian is far
> more than the kernel that linus wrote in '91. I think you'll find that
> professionals are using linux, not hurd. I think you'll find that linux
> is far bigger and widely used than hurd. If clinging to this delusional
> world-view comforts you, by all means go ahead.

All true, but let's keep in mind that when Debian started it was
considered a mere hobbyists' tool as well.  Some people still consider
it thus, preferring distributions with commercial backing over Debian
even when Debian can better satisfy their needs on technical grounds.

The Hurd is at present a hobbyists' tool, but I see no reason Debian
can't serve as an incubator for its development, just as Debian did for
the Linux kernel itself (along with several other institutions).

> Again, we're about choice, not enforced dogma. I think we all agree
> that you're looking for something other than debian.

I think we need to be careful not to equate the Hurd with any particular
individual.  Whether Jeroen Dekkers chooses to work with Debian or not
should have no real impact on Debian's support for the Hurd port.

Let's not let personality conflicts muddy the otherwise clear waters.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |         De minimis non curat lex.