Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> It has sometimes been very difficult for me to get input on such technical
> issues.  I respect all possible reasons for this (the main reason being just
> that what is important for me is of low priority for others), however, I
> also want to be respected for not writing code before I have not at least
> some input by the people who it will concern (and if it is just: "go ahead",
> or "you got it all wrong, try again, taking into account this or that").
> In particular with issues like the architecture handling, which affects a
> lot of areas in Debian where I have little knowledge about, a good solution
> can only be achieved with the input of the experts on the fields (this
> includes people from the packaging system, the archive management and the
> various porters).

ps: I have a patch I need to commit for dpkg 1.10, that makes the arch
comparison dpkg does a call to an external program.  This allows for arch
flavors, and more enhanced comparisons.

There are things being done to improve the usability of dpkg, at least as far
as hurd is concerned.  I just have issues with the way some people try to
force things.