Re: CVS directories in debian packages

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 11:01:21PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > 	It does not make sense for source packages either; CVS
> >  directories in source trees cause havoc when trying to later import
> >  the sources into another CVS repository (for example, a user trying
> >  to keep local modifications of debian sources in a local CVS).
>
> Well you assume that all source packages are from an external upstream.

Not really. What is the problem if your test packages have lintian warnings
about CVS crap on them for the source package (as long as debhelper is told
to NOT copy over these dirs to the binary packages...) ?

For the final package to be uploaded, you really should be using a cleanly
exported (not checked-out) tree, anyway.  And cvs-buildpackage will make
that a quite easy process, even.

> That is not always the case. In fact many of the packages I maintain
> (like java-common, harden etc) is generated from a cvs dir. It is very

All packages I maintain are generated from CVS, and all for-upload packaging
is done using a clean export, not check out or (worse) built from the
working directory.  It has a 1s to 5s penalty on build time, and zero extra
work on my side (instead of dpkg-buildpackage, I type cvs-buildpackage. One
less character, even...)

  Henrique Holschuh