Re: Best Packaging Practices - collecting ideas (and texts!)

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 03:33:11PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 08:59:02PM +0200, Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > Example text:
> >
> > "The debhelper (dh_*) scripts help you do common tasks automaticly
> > or with little help from the package maintainer. Some of them need
> > configuration and the debhelper configuration file naming convetions
> > is as packagename.conftype. You can also name it as just conftype
> > wich is then applied to all binary packages in the control file.
> >
> > For the exact syntax of the debhelper control file see the
> > dh_* manpage.
> >
> > Here follows a list of conftypes:
> >  * dirs (dh_installdirs)
> >  * docs (dh_installdocs)
> >  * changelog (dh_installchangelogs)
> >  * menu (dh_installmenu)
> >  ... etc ...
> > "
>
>   Hm, maybe you should just cut and paste debhelper(1) if you're going
> to do that?

Or just refer to it. The important thing here is the naming convention
for multiple packages. But yes that part from debhelper is a good start.
A interesting thing is that the convention is not always true. Take
for example the changelog file.

I think the most important convention should be mentioned in the
best practice reference and refer to the manpage for the rest.

I start to feel that this is essentially just a part of the
best practice on multiple binary packages. :)

Regards,

// Ola
>   Daniel
>
> --
> /-------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> -------------------\
> |                     If you wish to live wisely,                             |
> |                     ignore sayings--including this one.                     |
> \------- (if (not (understand-this)) (go-to http://www.schemers.org)) --------/

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |