Re: Editor Priorities

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 03:24:56AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> * Non-ASCII characters support +3

>   nice, but not really a requirement, for the projected usage. People
>   who require non-ascii char support can change the alternatives,
>   install only conforming editors, or set the EDITOR variable while we
>   get out house in order. (I have no objection to this criteria
>   remaining in, though).

Precisely.  We are trying to prioritize alternatives for
/usr/bin/editor, not for /usr/bin/wordprocessor or
/usr/bin/programming_ide.  Some people choose to use the same piece of
software for writing letters as for editing config files or submitting
bug reports; but this does not mean that our default for one of these
tasks must have all the features required by other tasks.

Having good support for non-Western input methods is a nice feature in
any software, but it is not essential when trying to edit
/etc/network/interfaces so that you can get your machine on-line.
Having a /usr/bin/editor that the novice user can get up-to-speed on
quickly is much more important than having one that supports kanji --
or /any/ non-ascii characters, for that matter -- and the weights
assigned to these criteria should reflect that.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer