Re: New Package Maintainer

On Sat, 4 May 2002 22:41:06 -0300
Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 07:43:53PM +0200, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
> > I just want to say hello to the whole list because i want to become a
> > package maintainer for StegFS which is a Steganographic File System
> > (http://www.mcdonald.org.uk/StegFS/). In this context i want to ask if
> > someone of you already develope StegFS ?
>
> It doesn't appear so, but if that page is accurate, upstream looks dead.
> Brian Russo filed an RFP for stegfs early last year
> (http://bugs.debian.org/85448) and in that request, Brian said it was "still
> in early devel".  Well, it is now over a year later, and it doesn't look
> like the package has been updated at all.  This casts a shadow on the future
> of this package, so think before you package it if you want to assume
> responsibility for fixing all of the bugs by yourself if upstream is indeed
> dead.

I just want to inform the list that i've started the developing a few days ago :-) Meanwhile i had spoken to Andrew McDonald (author of stegfs) who told me about his plans for stegfs. Brians RFP came a few days before the 1.1.4 Release of Stegfs which have a lot of bugfixes included. Im using Stegfs a few month right now and it looks stable for me and thats exactly the same what Andrew said about it.

The upstream isn't really dead, from my point of view. If i understand Andrew correctly, active development is slow down in the moment, but will be more active in the future. He's going to implement patches immediately when he receive them.

So far from me ...

--
Sebastian Urbach

Public Key (OpenPGP Standard, RFC-2440):
https://www.hanau.ccc.de/~sebastian/sebastian.asc

Wir muessen die Rechte der Andersdenkenden selbst dann
beachten, wenn sie Idioten oder schaedlich sind.
Wir muessen aufpassen. Wachsamkeit ist der Preis
der Freiheit --- Keine Zensur!
Wau Holland, eigtl. Herwart Holland-Moritz
(*20.12.1951 - +29.07.2001), Mitbegruender
und Alterspraesident des Chaos Computer Club