Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

* Brian May (bam@snoopy.apana.org.au) wrote:
> >     Junichi> They don't upgrade properly.
> >
> > "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it
> > means."
>
> Definitions:
>         * By library upgrade I mean major library upgrade, one which
>           changes the major number of the library rendering making it
>           incompatible with current applications.
>
> I think this is an important issue, and I in my quick scan I haven't
> seen an email that really addresses this, so I will bite.
>
> Having multiple major versions of a shared library causes lots of
> problems.
>
> The initial problem is that the old library conflicts with the new
> library.

A new shared library package should *not* conflict with the old library
package, for exactly the reasons you describe.  Shared libraries are
specifically designed to allow multiple soversions to be installed
simultaneously.

> When the user does install the new library and the new packages, it will
> remove the old library.

Exercise:
$ apt-get install liborbit0 liborbit2

Notice the lack of conflict (liborbit is just the first library I could
find with two sonumbers in the archive)

I am becoming increasingly convinced that library packaging in Debian is
somewhat ad hoc.  As someone who is taking on a library package that soon
is making backward-incompatible API changes and bumping the sonumber, I
am interested in establishing (or discovering) a "best practice" method
for this sort of transition.

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua@haberman.com>