Re: 2.4.18 File System Corruption

* Steve Kowalik

| At 11:55 pm, Sunday, May  5 2002, Adam Warner mumbled:
| > kernel: hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
| > kernel: hde: drive not ready for command
| > kernel: hde: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
| > kernel: hde: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
| > kernel: hde: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
| > kernel: hde: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
| > kernel: hde: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
| > kernel: hde: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
| > kernel: ide2: reset: success
| > kernel: hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
| > kernel: hde: drive not ready for command
| > kernel: hde: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
| > kernel: hde: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
| > kernel: hde: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
| > kernel: hde: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
| > kernel: hde: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
| >
| > After forcing a file system check I find that the partitions are
| > massively corrupt.
| >
| And they are IDE errors. IE: The drive is slowly but surely dying.
| If the kernel is having to keep reseting the IDE bus to get the drive to
| listen, and it still isn't ready for a command, means that something is, or
| has broken.

And for the Abit BP6, which has one of the first HPT366 controllers,
it's broken hardware.  That controller sucks rocks through straws.
Buy another controller, another mainboard or put them on the primary
(ie non-ATA66) controller.

--
Tollef Fog Heen                                                  ,''`.
                                                                : :' :