Re: 2.4.18 File System Corruption

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 12:37:31AM +1200, Adam Warner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have experienced massive file system corruption on my main computer
> after installing Woody and upgrading the kernel to 2.4.18-686-smp
> (2.4.18-5). The filesystems were ext3. Hardware is an ABit BP6.
>
> The install disks were also the 2.4.18-bf series.
>
> This is an example of the kernel error messages I received when
> transferring files to the box over NFS:
>
> kernel: hde: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> kernel: hde: drive not ready for command
> kernel: hde: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> kernel: hde: no DRQ after issuing WRITE

[deletia]

I had a similar problem recently.  My drives were brand new and so I
believed that the problem had to be in the drivers.  In my case, there
was no corruption.  There was much patching and tweaking until I found
that some of my drives wouldn't transfer at the advertised udma5 rate.
Using hdparam, I set the udma mode to 4 and they worked OK though at
reduced throughput.  Before I was done, I switched to the hpt37x2
driver and found that the drives ran fine at the advertised udma5
rate.

IMHO, there is a strong indication that there be some problem with the
IDE driver in 2.4.18 and DMA.