Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 11:30:58AM +1000, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> >On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 10:27:32PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> >> There are some shared library packages that contain binaries in usr/bin
> >> It is generally a bad idea, considering co-installation of
> >> shared libraries with different sonames.
> >
> ><list of packages>
> >
> >The problem is that we don't have /libexec in Debian GNU/Linux (we do
> >in GNU/Hurd). I really think that's a bug and those binaries in these
> >library packages probably belong in /libexec.
>
> How is The Hurd at all relevant to placement of *-config scripts?

Because those scripts should be in /libexec and I don't see why it's
wrong to ship binaries with libraries they are coupled with. Else you
get one binary and one library package with each depending on the
other package with the same version number, actually just the same
package but splitted up because policy requires it. And then people
want to stop adding useful things to Debian because the archive gets
too big...

I think we should put those binaries in libexec (as already done by
the Hurd and all other GNU packages, it's an example, so it's
relevent). Then we should put in policy that library packages can have
binaries in libexec. But I'm afraid that won't be possible because
policy depends on a standard created by people who don't know what
they are doing.

> Well done, Captain Irrelevant.
>
> To the sane members of this list:  I suggest using the alternatives system
> for *-config.

I only point out something that's broken. You see the word "Hurd" and
everything is directly irrelevant and insane without reading the rest
of the post. You should start trying to think less closed-minded, the
Hurd is already part of Debian for 3 years (at least technically
speaking).

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org