Re: update-alternatives and shared libraries

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 09:59:43 +1000, Brian May wrote:
> dpkg makes sure that symlinks get unpacked first

No, last, or at least after their targets have been unpacked.

> in order to minimize breakage during upgrades (although I can't remember
> the reason why this is important right now).

Because otherwise libraries which dpkg, maintainer scripts etc. use may be
completely broken. Back in the dark ages, my system was once hosed by a
libc6 upgrade in which the libc.so.4 symlink was unpacked before its target.

Ray
--
Friends don't send friends HTML email
	Declan McCullagh on the "features" of Javascript in email,