Re: libreadline

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 06:20:44PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Getting the license changed seems pretty unlikely. There's "gnutls"
> which is an SSL library that's being developed under the GPL, which GPL
> programs can link to. Unfortunately non-GPL programs can't link to it,
> so we've pretty much blocked ourselves off from being able to have a
> single SSL/crypto library that all free software can use, which is a
> shame. Unless someone starts up a third project, of course.

Non-GPL programs can link with a GPL library, as long at the license
is GPL compatible. I don't know how many GPL incompatible programs use
SSL (a license field in the package description would be nice to find
out :-).

Looking at the homepage of GnuTLS it implements TLS 1.0, SSL 3.0
and a lot of other things. It looks like GnuTLS could replace
OpenSSL. If there are a lot programs with GPL incompatible license, we
could ask to license GnuTLS under the LGPL. Starting a third project
just because of a license is stupid IMHO.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org