Re: ext3 root partition with kernel-image packages

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 05:14:46PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > That of course is what we did. And we also changed the /etc/fstab entry
> > to no avail. As you can see above the initrd did insmod ext3 correctly
> > but it not used and the partition is mounted as ext2.
>
> I've noticed that on some systems the initrd ext3 thing just doesn't
> seem to work. I've got 6 or 7 systems where changing ext2 to ext3 in
> fstab and recreating the initrd worked, and one where it didn't. The
> latter is my laptop, and ext3 only works if compiled into the kernel. I
> have absolutely no idea why. The ext3 module *is* loaded by the
> initrd...

I am experiencing the _exactly_ same effect as M.Meskes. And the box
in question where I've done all the tricks (ext3 in fstab, ext3 in intrd,
tunefs) is also a laptop (old noname) and the fs (on a ide disk) will just
not get mounted as ext3.
*t

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch