Re: new draft release announcement

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 02:25:35PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > 1. A detailed dictionary indicating verb/noun/adverb,
> > transitive/intransitive, plural/singular
> > 2. A decent thesaurus to help with alternatives
> 3. Implement Artificial Intelligence.
>
> If you want to say whether a sentence is grammatically correct, you need
> to know what that sentence means. It's somewhat possible to use some
> tricks to find some minor grammatical errors, but one can never create a
> grammar checker that finds all grammatical errors, and especially the
> serious errors are hard to find by a computer program of any sort.
>
> Unless it _understands_ the phrase, which would probably require
> AI. Grammar checkers have never made sense to me...

It doesn't need to understand the sentence to make a good guess if it's
grammatically correct. A grammar checker may be able to distinguish between
"wear", "where", "ware" or "we're" while a spell checker would not.

Nonsense sentences can be grammatically correct and grammatically incorrect
sentences can make perfect sense.

And just as not every word in a document will exist in a dictionary, so will
not every sentence fit into whatever structure your grammar checker checks
for.

It's just a tool.