Re: new draft release announcement

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:32:56PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > [1] "apt-cache search grammar" only finds compiler generators;
> > guess nobody has written or packaged a grammar checker yet.
> > So I used MS Word 2000 to check it. Sorry about that, only
> > tool I had on hand.
>
> I can't find any grammar checkers at all on google that are free. I
> postulate that the reason for this is that a good grammar checker would
> required:
>
> 1. A detailed dictionary indicating verb/noun/adverb,
> transitive/intransitive, plural/singular
> 2. A decent thesaurus to help with alternatives
3. Implement Artificial Intelligence.

If you want to say whether a sentence is grammatically correct, you need
to know what that sentence means. It's somewhat possible to use some
tricks to find some minor grammatical errors, but one can never create a
grammar checker that finds all grammatical errors, and especially the
serious errors are hard to find by a computer program of any sort.

Unless it _understands_ the phrase, which would probably require
AI. Grammar checkers have never made sense to me...

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- From the movie "Antitrust"