Woody upgrade experience

I have just upgraded an old and a new box to Woody.

There are some glitches that cost my time and that you
might want to look into.

(1) X server switched
    On an old box with three versions of a 3.3.6 X server installed
    (Mach, SVGA, Glint), after the apt-upgrade the default X server
    was different. The shortest way of switching it back was
    to deinstall and re-install the Mach server (the one I need).
    I'm sure there are easier ways ...

(2) libkpathsea3 vs. tetex-lib
    I had some package (freetype-tools?) that required libkpathsea3,
    which conflicted with tetex-lib, which in turn was required by
    some other tools.

(3) X server configuration
    The new X server configuration with dpkg-reconfigure
    xserver-xfree86 works great once you find out about it.
    Somehow it didn't get done on a new machine when installing
    potato then immediately upgrading to woody.
    It took me a while to figure out. Perhaps the release notes
    could mention that; I tried xf86config and anXious first.

(4) no fixed font
    The X server wouldn't start, complaining that it cannot find
    a 'fixed' font. I installed some font packages from non-free,
    and then it worked. Did I do something wrong? Is there no
    remedy? Since I apt-upgraded, there wasn't really a chance
    to do anything wrong about it except find out later.

As good as Debian is for server purposes, the X-Window configuration
is still not perfect. I'm sure that's due to the huge complexity
and I appreciate all steps forward by Branden Robinson and the
XFree team. The dpkg-reconfigure thing is definitely a step forward.

Best regards,

Claus

--
Claus Fischer <claus.fischer@clausfischer.com>