Re: Woody upgrade experience

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 04:45:52PM +0200, Claus Fischer wrote:
> I have just upgraded an old and a new box to Woody.
>
> There are some glitches that cost my time and that you
> might want to look into.
>
> (1) X server switched
>     On an old box with three versions of a 3.3.6 X server installed
>     (Mach, SVGA, Glint), after the apt-upgrade the default X server
>     was different. The shortest way of switching it back was
>     to deinstall and re-install the Mach server (the one I need).
>     I'm sure there are easier ways ...

Which X server is default is handled by a debconf question.

Do you have DEBIAN_PRIORITY set to "critical", or DEBIAN_FRONTEND set to
"noninteractive"?

> (3) X server configuration
>     The new X server configuration with dpkg-reconfigure
>     xserver-xfree86 works great once you find out about it.
>     Somehow it didn't get done on a new machine when installing
>     potato then immediately upgrading to woody.

Do you have DEBIAN_PRIORITY set to "critical", or DEBIAN_FRONTEND set to
"noninteractive"?

>     It took me a while to figure out. Perhaps the release notes
>     could mention that; I tried xf86config and anXious first.

If someone has told debconf that they don't want to be bothered, they
won't be.  If you haven't told debconf this, I'm hard pressed to figure
out how this is a bug in my package.  Joey Hess has seen my .config
scripts for XFree86 and didn't tell me they were fundamentally broken.

> (4) no fixed font
>     The X server wouldn't start, complaining that it cannot find
>     a 'fixed' font. I installed some font packages from non-free,
>     and then it worked. Did I do something wrong? Is there no
>     remedy? Since I apt-upgraded, there wasn't really a chance
>     to do anything wrong about it except find out later.

apt-get install x-window-system

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I had thought very carefully about
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     comitting hara-kiri over this, but