Re: Building PGI (Progeny Installer) CD images

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 03:27:46PM +0200, Grzegorz Prokopski wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am preparing press release of Debian Woody for Polish Debian users.
> We will also include full binary CD set and (as we want to get some new
> users that use RH/Mdk/whatever ATM) ability of the installer choice
> (which would be BIG adventage).

That would be nice :-)

> Yes - the ideal goal would be to have one CD set with both installers
> (PGI from http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/ and boot-floppies).
>
> Is anyone else working on sth similar? Please drop me info on how it
> works for you and what problems you have/what you have achieved already.

I'm planning on doing something similar. We (Debian-SP, a group of
Debian users from São Paulo/Brazil, part of the [1]Debian-BR Project)
promoted a very nice Debian Install Fest two weeks ago and we are
planning on doing something similar but with Woody for beginners users
in mind.

However, I'm worried with the idea of creating a local Debian mirror as
I don't have hardware enough to handle the amount of packages. I think
that using a local mirror is the only way to achieve some degree of
stability with the installer as packages are being changed everyday and
burning a *installer only* CD with PGI to use an official Debian mirror
as the source to fetch packages from is likely to give you too much
trouble.

How did you managed to fix the *packages changing too often* problem ?
Are you using your own local mirror ?

--
||  Andre Luis Lopes                   andrelop@ig.com.br               ||