Re: writing a release announcement

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 07:53:06PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> I tend to pin some essential files to safer distribution while allowing
> to access to other branches.
>
> libc6.      Always choose safest one as default.
>             Manually upgrade to known good ones.
> gnome-*     Latest.
[...]
> I think dselect accessed through apt-method honors pin scores and
> provides the best score one as the choice.  You just do not see all the
> alternative versions with pin scores.  It may not be best you hope for
> but very functional and useful for me.

Assume for this example that you pin libc6 to testing, and gnome-*
to unstable.

Say you want to install a new gnome-* package, whose unstable
version requires a newer libc6 than is in testing.  You can't do it
in dselect, can you?  You have to drop to apt-get and install the
testing version ("apt-get -t testing").  But as soon as you go back
into dselect, it will break again (trying to upgrade to unstable),
so you have to put it on hold.  This will even prevent you from
upgrading to newer testing versions (you will not even see that
newer testing versions are available), so you would have to go back
to apt-get for that.  And there is no way to know when to remove the
hold (to upgrade to unstable, when possible), except by trying it
and seeing when it doesn't break.  When another unstable version
that requires unstable libc6 comes along, it breaks again ...

Am I right about this, or do you have a better way?

Andrew