Re: writing a release announcement

Branden Robinson wrote:
> The footnote does not appear to be necessary.  OpenSSH doesn't include
> OpenSSL, it just links against it.
>
> > [1] This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
> >     for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.openssl.org/)
>
> I would drop this footnote entirely.

Hmm. I'd be happy to do so if there's a concensus that you're right.
Barring consensus, we should err on the side of caution here.

> > For the first time, Debian comes with the KDE desktop environment. The
> > GNOME desktop environment is upgraded to version 1.4, and X itself is
>
> Please say "XFree86", not "X".  "X" means "X Window System", and the
> version of that in woody is Version 11, Release 6.5.1.

Your pedantry is ah, refreshing, but won't it tend to confuse the
general audience of this announcement? (Perhaps I should call it "X
Windows" -- they'll understand that!)

Ah, compromise:

   and X itself is upgraded to the much improved XFree86 4.1.

> > [ Should dedications be mentioned here? ]
>
> I would say so.

So, what are they?

--
see shy jo