Re: 0.01-6 > 0.1-3 ?????

Il mar, 2002-04-23 alle 22:46, Chad Walstrom ha scritto:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 01:01:28PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > for example dpkg still lacks a method to identify a pre-version.
>
> IMHO, "pre" is a really back-asswords way of version management.  I
> can't really argue much about it, even if I wanted too, because it's a
> currently used schema (e.g. the Linux kernel's
> MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH-prePATCH).
>
> Debian answer: Why does this break dpkg?  The existence of the hyphen
> ('-') of course.  The policy /does/ state that you must munge the

no. hyphens give no problem to dpkg, because it treats all the hyphens
as letters *apart* from the last one, that separate upstream version
from debian version.

the problem of dpkg is that there is *no guaranteed way* to discover if
a letter is there to mean before or later. e.g., is 1.0 less than 1.0b?
mmm... 1.0c? 1.0d? but usually 1.0a2 means alpha, 2. b = beta? or simply
b comes after a and c after b?

imo, the method used by dpkg is the best one, imo.

[completely personal and not approved discussion on numbering schemes
snipped]

--
Federico Di Gregorio
INIT.D Developer                                           fog@initd.org