Re: 0.01-6 > 0.1-3 ?????

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:01:34 -0700
"Randolph Chung" <tausq@debian.org> wrote:

> > What exactly do you mean by numerically?  Is 0.00001 == 0.01 == 0.1 ==
> > 1.0 == 10 == 100000?  What should be watched out for?
>
> From the debian policy manual (section 4):
>
> "The strings are compared from left to right.
>
> First the initial part of each string consisting entirely of non-digit
> characters is determined. These two parts (one of which may be empty)
> are compared lexically. If a difference is found it is returned. The
> lexical comparison is a comparison of ASCII values modified so that all
> the letters sort earlier than all the non-letters.
>
> Then the initial part of the remainder of each string which consists
> entirely of digit characters is determined. The numerical values of
> these two parts are compared, and any difference found is returned as
> the result of the comparison. For these purposes an empty string (which
> can only occur at the end of one or both version strings being compared)
> counts as zero.
>
> These two steps (comparing and removing initial non-digit strings and
> initial digit strings) are repeated until a difference is found or both
> strings are exhausted."
>
> randolph

Ive read that a few times and still dont think i undersstand it properly,
can someone rephrase it in laymans terms ?

I cant see any way of interpreting the policy in which 0.1 == 0.01, 0 is a
digit which still has to be compared, it looks to me like it has to be a
bug in dpkg.

"The numerical values of these two parts are compared, and any difference
found is returned as the result of the comparison", so if we compare two
version, 0.01 and 0.1 then the (numerical) difference is +/- 0.09 not 0.

Glenn