x-compiling an arm-elf toolchain package

I want to compile an arm-elf GNU development toolchain (binutils, gcc,
newlib). I'd like the end result to be an arm-elf-gcc_3.0.4-1_i386.deb
package that I can install and manage through dpkg. My usual method is
download the the binutils, gcc, and newlib sources, and "./configure
--target=arm-elf && make && su -c 'make install'" for each package. I'm
trying to get away from /usr/local though as it becomes a nightmare to manage
and defeats the purpose of an excellent package management system such as
dpkg. I found binutils-multiarch, which is great and meets my first
requirement. Now for compiling gcc. I found dpkg-cross, but my understanding
is its purpose is to create packages for different --host=, whereas I'm
trying to do a different --target=. Can I run something like
$ debuild --target=arm-elf
and have it magically create arm-elf-gcc_3.0.4-1_i386.deb for me?
And finally, what do I do about newlib (which is a libc replacement for
embedded systems). I see it's not packaged. Is it viable to package it? If
so, I might take that project on.

Thanks,
Shaun