Re: Wasteful packaging

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 01:21:05AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> That's ~9MB per binary package, * 2 for the two versions in the
> pool. Looking more closely at the current i386 package, unpacked:
>
> sledge:~/debian/evolution$ du -s usr/*
> 14548   usr/share
>
> Over half of the installed package is made up of stuff in /usr/share,
> i.e. common arch-independent stuff like images, templates and i18n
> data. A quick check of other packages suggests that similar metrics
> apply for gnumeric, gnome-applets2, konqueror, ...
>
> We _really_ should be packaging things like this better - the common
> stuff should go into binary-all packages with appropriate
> dependencies!

Indeed.

When I was younger, I did an upload of XFce which was split into xfce and
xfce-common at the time. I didn't understand why this was so, and I merged
all of those shared files back into the binary-arch package. And I think
that only one person ever mentioned this later, after which I slapped myself
on the forehead, of course...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.