Re: [2002-04-06] Release Status Update

Paul Slootman wrote:

> On Thu 11 Apr 2002, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> > Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> > > This does not make sence at all. PPTP is also a WAN Tunneling and VPN
> > > Protocol. How can a Linux Router speek PPTP without linux-pptp package? This
> > > is a often used VPN Solution to Windows servers. And if there is no bug, it
> > > is not a good idea to remove the package.
> > >
> > Do ya think they're talking about PPPOE, rather than pptp?  It would
> > make more sense in that context...
>
> No, he's right; at least, the part about VPN is correct.
>
> Russell was speaking in the context of the common ADSL offering here in
> the Netherlands, where an Alcatel ADSL modem is commonly used. You have
> to speak PPTP to that modem, unless you can hack it (see earlier
> discussion).

Oh, OK, sorry to shed more obscurity on the issue.  I just now searched
groups.google.com, and noticed another discussion about this issue:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=EtSTNbljddDU-pn2-g7tGhLXjwmmM%40POBLANO.hashkedim.com

At least you didn't get irritated!  :-)

It was just hard for me to believe you needed PPTP to talk to an ADSL
modem!