Re: [2002-04-06] Release Status Update

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:18:08AM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:40, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > > Over the past few weeks most of the following packages have been removed
> > > from the upcoming release due to bugs and such [0].
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > >     dnrd               logtrend-consolidation  pptp-linux
> >
> > Could someone give a pointer where I can found out why pptp-linux has
> > been removed? Its BTS page shows only a single unresolved bug, and a
> > minor one at that (spelling mistake in README.Reference). No RC-bugs,
> > fixed or unfixed.
> >
> > Alternatively, what needs to be done to have this package in woody?
> > Recently, ADSL (MXstream as the dutch telco KPN calls it) has taken
> > quite a flight here in the Netherlands, and for that pptp-linux is
> > needed...
>
> You only need pptp-linux if you use an Ethernet attached modem instead of the
> USB attached modem (which is E50 cheaper).

Well, some people already have the ethernet version. And the E75 laptop
I use as a router is a lot cheaper than anything w/ USB that's easy to
get here.

> Also the Ethernet attached devices that they are selling are reprogrammable
> and have PPTP capabilities.  Getting a Linux machine going without PPTP is
> doable.

It's just a lot easier to not have to reprogram the modem.

Anyways, I use a patched version that I complied myself. It's a version
that works with debian's pon and poff, and uses pppd's own persist
option to restart the connection once it's down. Apparently there are
.debs for this now as well.

The patched versions (by Rein Klazes) can be found at:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rklazes/data/

Note: this is all in Dutch; LEESMIJ means README, and ISVEROUDERD means
ISOLD/OBSOLETE.

The .deb is at: http://jp.dhs.org/pptp-linux_1.1.0-1_i386.deb

HTH,

--