Re: [2002-04-06] Release Status Update

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 02:14:41PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:37, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > > You only need pptp-linux if you use an Ethernet attached modem instead of
> > > the USB attached modem (which is E50 cheaper).
> >
> > Yes, but often the line comes in many meters away from the system, and
> > the simplest thing is then to run some UTP to the ADSL modem.
>
> In my apartment the line comes in many meters from my computer and I just ran
> many meters of telephone extension cable to my modem which is next to my
> computer.
>
> > > Also the Ethernet attached devices that they are selling are
> > > reprogrammable and have PPTP capabilities.  Getting a Linux machine going
> > > without PPTP is doable.
> >
> > No.
> > In the beginning the ethernet attached devices were easily hacked (the
> > reprogramming you mention was in fact a hack, and would void any
> > warranty).  Nowadays the capability to do this has been removed
> > entirely, as a colleague recently discovered when he tried this (he has
> > a Mac with OS-X, and is having trouble getting the link up if he doesn't
> > use the GUI interface to do that).
>
> I'm surprised to hear it's a hack.  I am working for a major Dutch company
> that is planning a major roll-out of broadband connected machines, and we are
> planning to reconfigure all such modems as part of the standard installation.
>
> Maybe we are talking about different things here?

The method described on http://www.sateh.com/hacks/alcatel.php certainly
looks like a hack. It basically describes a way to convert a Home model
to a Pro model without paying. Given the price difference 'Home' and
'Pro' seem to imply, this is most probably not what Alcatel intended.
Additionally, it says on that page:

    You have the risk of changing your modem settings and not getting
    them back in the correct original state. (...)

Which also sounds like it's a hack. Maybe you _are_ talking about
something different, though?

--
Matijs van Zuijlen