Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 09:53:44AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:

> > > Any references?
> >
> > How about the debconf manual?

> but sorry, we have some outdated translations in debconf templates
> files. No translator know, if someone change the english template.
> Please can we use gettext or something other without 'outdated
> translations'? Joey ?

If you are concerned that translators receive automatic notification
when a source debconf template has changed, that's an infrastructure
problem.  Neither debconf nor gettext has automatic translator
notifications built-in, and debconf's templates are not an inferior
solution for not providing this.

Debconf, if used correctly, does correctly handle merging of outdated
translations.  See debconf-mergetemplate(1).

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer