Please help - problems with Ultra DMA

I'm trying to enable Ultra DMA on a woody system running a 2.4.17
kernel.

I've enabled the applicable kernel options.

CPU is Athlon 1700XP
Motherboard is an InnoBD BD7300D, with:
VIA VT8366A (KT266A) North bridge
VIA VT8233A South Bridge

Disk drive: Maxtor 5T06086 60GB 7200 RPM

But when I type 'hdparm -d1 /dev/hda', I get

	setting using_dma to 1 (on)
	HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
	/dev/hda:
	 using_dma    =  0 (off)

and yes, I'm running 'hdparm' as root.

I'm writing to this list as a last resort, because the HOWTOs and manpages
say nothing about this, and Google brings up a whole bunch of unanswered
questions on mailing list archives (which I hope this won't end up as).

Can someone please shed some light?

Thanks so much in advance
David