Re: Please help - problems with Ultra DMA

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 08:13:28AM +1200, David McNab wrote:
> I'm trying to enable Ultra DMA on a woody system running a 2.4.17
> kernel.
>
> I've enabled the applicable kernel options.
>
> CPU is Athlon 1700XP
> Motherboard is an InnoBD BD7300D, with:
> VIA VT8366A (KT266A) North bridge
> VIA VT8233A South Bridge
>
> Disk drive: Maxtor 5T06086 60GB 7200 RPM
>
> But when I type 'hdparm -d1 /dev/hda', I get
>
> 	setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> 	HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> 	/dev/hda:
> 	 using_dma    =  0 (off)
>
> and yes, I'm running 'hdparm' as root.

Ok, do the bootup messages say anything support for that chipset? On my
PIIX4 the kernel detects it and enables the maximum ultradma completely
automatically.

Check the VIA chipset support. Does it specifically mention this chipset?
Lastly, have you tried Andres big-ide patch, which twiddles support for
several chipsets not in the main kernel.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/