Re: O: gnu-standards -- GNU coding standards

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 04:34:36PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Software."  Therefore, for something to be part of Debian, it must be
> Free Software, even if it's documentation.  Now, this may be an

It must be free software, even if it's documentation?

So any documentation, if included in Debian, would suddenly transform
into computer software? I don't think so...

Of course, it is possible to blur the issue, for instance, is a C
comment documentation or C code? Is a C printf statement documentation
or C code? What if you wrapped the contents of the GPL in a C printf
statement? Would it still meet the DFSG?

Also, it is worth noting that even the GPL doesn't allow unrestricted
editing of source files:

    a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
    stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>