Re: O: gnu-standards -- GNU coding standards

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 11:39:31AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 04:34:36PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Software."  Therefore, for something to be part of Debian, it must be
> > Free Software, even if it's documentation.  Now, this may be an
>
> It must be free software, even if it's documentation?

It doesn't matter what it *is*.  People can and will argue for eternity
about how many angels should dance on the software and documentation
pins.

What matters is how what's packaged for Debian is *licensed*.

> So any documentation, if included in Debian, would suddenly transform
> into computer software? I don't think so...

Another straw man lies slain!

> Of course, it is possible to blur the issue, for instance, is a C
> comment documentation or C code? Is a C printf statement documentation
> or C code?

Why should the DFSG have to worry about such philosophical questions?
Why isn't it enough to worry about the license?

> What if you wrapped the contents of the GPL in a C printf
> statement? Would it still meet the DFSG?

Under my proposals, it would if it were a license applicable to the
softare in question, but not otherwise (because the Free Software
Foundation does not permit alteration of their copyrighted text).

> Also, it is worth noting that even the GPL doesn't allow unrestricted
> editing of source files:
>
>     a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
>     stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

Also, it is worth noting that even the BSD license doesn't allow
unrestricted editing of source files:

	1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above
	copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
	disclaimer.

Your point?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somewhere, there is a .sig so funny
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    that reading it will cause an